Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Access ProxMox guest directly using VNC

Here's a quick and dirty

Shut your guest down

go to the following directory on your ProxMox host

/etc/pve/local/qemu-server/

Now edit the config file that matches your proxmox guest ID.  In this example the guest is "105" so the file 105.conf would be modified.




add this line into your configuration, then save your changes.  This entry means that you would connect to your server using port 5978  (VNC will prepend a 59)

args: -vnc 0.0.0.0:78

Now start your Guest

Download your favorite VNC client

In this example I'm using realVNC.

I put in the IP of my ProxMox server, followed by the port 5978

In this example, my ProxMox server is 192.168.0.8, and the port I set was "78" which means I set it to 5978, so it would look like this

192.168.0.8:5978


Now if I try and connect, I'm given the console of the windows box




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! If you have any information that you think should be included, please do so here and I'll get it added in.