Sunday, February 14, 2021

Share a single VPN connection with multiple systems

This will only work for certain situations, and will depend on the security settings of your machine (as features maybe disabled by admins) and your VPN provider.  But if you come this far, check and see if yours meet the criteria.

In this example, I'm using windows 10.  I VPN to my office, but I want to be able to also connect another computer and a couple of phones that are normally connected on the LAN at work, but since we are in a WFH situation, I want them to work from here.

tl;dr

Were going to connect to the internet (then VPN) through the wireless connection, then we'll share the VPN connection to the ethernet, attach a POE switch so that we can attach other devices and phones.


So here I've connected to my wifi



Now I've established an SSL VPN connection

And you can see it is set to "Ethernet 3" on my system 

Now we'll right click on that and select PROPERTIES

Now click on the SHARING tab


Then select the checkbox for "Allow other network users to connect...."

Then click on the drop box with the title "Select a private network connection"
...and select the ethernet name of the jack on your computer

Then select OK

Now you should be able to attach a lan switch to your ethernet port, connect another device to that laptop and it should get an IP address.  It will get one that Windows 10 assigns that is usually 192.168.137.X , with a name "mshome.net"

You should now be able to reach devices on via the VPN from systems attached to this switch.














No comments:

Post a Comment