Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d tricks

This thing is old, but seems to work ok for me.

Here's some things I've collected on it that might help you out.

svcd process hogging
I wish I knew about this fix when I first bought this thing.  This fixed a problem that I always had with this unit.  The GUI was just stupid slow.  After the fix below, it was night and day difference in GUI performance.  I don't know what this process does exactly, but the fix below that I found on by user 5p0ng3b0b really made an improvement.  This also increased my transfers from around 5.5MB (big M big B) / sec to 6.5MB, which isn't huge, but thats around 15% increase?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/LenovoEMC-Storage/what-is-svcd-process-it-s-causing-high-cpu-usage-and-slow-file-transfter-speed/m-p/2157713

SSH to your Device (instructions how to enable SSH below)

create a file "fixsvcd.sh" (bash file) and paste in the contents below.  You need to use this script to edit because the file itself is in a read-only file system.  This script will all you to edit the file (when its run it will bring up nano to allow you to make the changes)

#!/bin/sh
mknod -m0660 /dev/loop3 b 7 3
chown root.disk /dev/loop3
mkdir -p /tmp/apps
mount -o loop /boot/images/apps /tmp/apps
nano /tmp/apps/usr/local/cfg/sohoProcs.xml
sleep 1
umount /tmp/apps
sleep 1
if [ "$(mount | grep -c /tmp/apps)" = "0" ]; then
    rm -f /dev/loop3
    rm -rf /tmp/apps
fi

Save the file.

Now make it executable

chmod 777 fixsvcd.sh

now run the script
./fixsvcd.sh

"Nano" editor will run and show you a bunch of data"

Press CTRL W   -search for " svcd "

Now make the change to the file adding the entry    Nice="19" entry into the statement below

<Program Disable="0" Name="svcd" Path="/usr/local/svcd/svcd">
        <SysOption MaxMem="96M" Nice="19" Restart="-1"/>

Press CTRL + 0 (save) and then press ENTER

Press CTRL + X (exit)

Now reboot the unit.
GUI is incredible faster for me after the restart.

How to enable SSH on your IX4-200d


This will allow you to SSH to your system

Use this URL (put in your IP of your device)
https://IPofStorCenter/diagnostics.html

Click on "Allow remote access.."

Then click on apply.

Now you can logon via SSH using the creds:

login: root

password= sohoYOURPASSWORD   (you prepend "soho" to your password that you would use to logon to your device.


RESET LOST ADMIN PASSWORD 

Just hold down the reset button on the back for 5 seconds.  This will cause the unit to reset the password and network settings.  No data loss.
Once reset, you can HTTP to it and setup security again, including a new password

1 comment:

  1. Hi, thanks for the wonderful info but sadly, mine is still slow. My ix4-200d had failed drives so i replaced all the drives and I initially updated it to version 2.1.50 with the red user interface which wasn't the original firmware that came with it, so I then formatted the whole thing once again and update it to the last firmware which was 3.2.16 with the black web interface.
    I then proceed to clear the drives and configure them in RAID 10. My major problem now is that it's stuck on "Data protection is being reconstructed. Reconstruction is 0% complete" and after a whole day, it moved to 1%. I changed it to RAID 5 hoping for a change but it's was still the same.
    During this process, it's impossible to use the device to store any of my files and I don't know how long it would take to complete.
    Please do you have any ideas on how to resolve this?

    ReplyDelete