Tuesday, March 22, 2016

ASTERISK and UNISTIM Nortel 2002P2 Phones

Here's how I made a bunch of UNISTIM 2002P2s work with asterisk.  Specifically I used IncrediblePBX13 on CENTOS 6.7

The heart of this came from Mike "THE MAN!" MCNAMARA and Dale on his page.  They really provided me all the fundamental steps to get this to work.  I'm just collecting it here for my own record, and maybe to help someone out a little bit with my explanation of the process.

I did this on a bare metal build of CENTOS 6.7 using IncrediblePBX 13-12.2
UNISTIM drivers come with it and so far, works reasonably well.  I'm not sure if I would depend a large deployment on it, but its resurrected a box of phones that I had given up on.

So the assumption is that you have a pretty good understanding of the asterisk system.

So, in /etc/asterisk/unistim.conf is where you assign the phones you want to connect to your PBX.
I use FREEPBX for the GUI and created an extesnion (8860 in my example), but all that will do is assign a voicemailbox for your user really.  All the configs for the actual phone are stored in the file.

Here's my UNISTIM.CONF file:
______________________________________________________________
[general]
port=5000                ; UDP port
autoprovisioning=yes
qualify=yes
[8860]                                        ; extension of the device for reference
line => 8860                            ;the actual extension of the device
device=00148BF43A20            ; mac address of the phone (look on the back should be there)
maintext0="Asterisk"                ; default = "Welcome", 24 characters max. Shows on the LCD
callerid="First Last" <5558860> ;CLID that asterisk will pass
context=from-internal    ; context, default="default"
mailbox=8860         ; Specify the mailbox number. Used by Message Waiting Indication
linelabel="8860"     ; Softkey label for the next line=> entry, 9 char max.
rtp_port=10000       ; RTP port used by the phone, default = 10000. RTCP = rtp_port+1
rtp_method=3         ; If you don't have sound, you can try 1, 2 or 3, default = 0
status_method=0    ; If you don't see status text, try 1, default = 0
extension=line        ; Add an extension into the dialplan. Only valid in context specified previously.
                                ; none=don't add (default), ask=prompt user, line=use the line number

dateformat=1          ; 0 = month/day, 1 (default) = day/month
timeformat=1          ; 0 = 0:00am ; 1 (default) = 0h00, 2 = 0:00
contrast=5               ; define the contrast of the LCD. From 0 to 15. Default = 8
country=us              ; country (ccTLD) for dial tone frequency. See README, default = us
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saved this file.

Then I went to the phone, plugged it into the network.  Followed these basic config patterns.
(boot the phone, when you see the NORTEL text show, slide your fingers along the bottom row of buttons under the LCD from left to right)

EAP Enable? [0-N, 1-Y]: 0
DHCP? [0-N, 1-Y]: 1
Cached IP? [0-N, 1-Y]: 1
DHCP:0-Full,1-Partial: 1
S1 IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Asterisk's Server IP Address) S1 PORT: 5000
S1 ACTION: 1
S1 RETRY COUNT: 10
S2 IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Asterisk's Server IP Address)
S2 PORT: 5000
S2 ACTION: 1
S2 RETRY COUNT: 10
Cfg XAS? [0-No, 1-Yes]: 0
VOICE VLAN?[0-N, 1-Y]: 0
PC PORT?[0-OFF,1-ON]: 1
DATA VLAN? [0-N, 1-Y]: 0
PCUntagAll?0-No,1-Yes: 0
DUPLEX0-AUTO,1-FULL: 1
SPEED0-10Mb,1-100Mb: 1
GARP Ignore?[0-N, 1-Y]: 1

Saved the configuration file

Then I reloaded the config file in asterisk
Command line prompt asterisk -rx reload

The phone attempted to connect to the asterisk ip address, and presto.  worked first try.

The whole thing really worked, I had it working in less than 10 minutes.

OTHER INFO
You can reboot a 2002 series phone with the following sequence:
mute  up  down  up  down  up  mute  9  release

Country codes for dial tone
country=us fr au nl uk fi za pt ee mx in de ch dk cn es be sg il br hu lt pl jp no at nz tw cl se

There is a pile of great info here on the asterisk.org page

4 comments:

  1. very precise info. works like magic, no confusing extras.Before i got this,my systems use to connect and work fine but at times some phones will disconnect and say not registered. their behavoir was inconsistent, but with this file everything is just fine. I just copied and pasted, then added the lines for ring type and volume because the volume was very low...adjusted it to 10. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much thanks Dickson...its guys like you that make the internet such an invaluable resource for anyone working in technology....

    Anyway, one feature I am struggling to get working with Unistim and Nortel's i2000 series is the 3 way calling feature. Have you been able to get this working on any i2000 series phone? if so, could you kindly share your conf file? Would really appreciate it.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it works! I try and keep everything as clear as possible, although sometimes its clearer in my head than it is on paper.

    I'll be honest, I sort of abandoned the 2002p2 phones at that location. The system worked very well, but the UNITSTIM phones all suffered from reports of weirdness. Voicemail maybe not picking up properly, or weird dialing issues. We just decided to stick with the Nortel 1120/1140 series of phones. I setup the 2002p2's at a church and they are all working great for them. But I used the configs above. I didn't change anything that I recall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how to double line the unistim file

    ReplyDelete